Has a wide range of experience writing careers information and resources for young people, adults, employers and advisers.
With a background working with apprentices and teaching in further education, Debbie was employed as an in-house author for Lifetime Publishing before establishing herself as a freelancer in 2012. Debbie is available to research, write, copy-edit, proof and/or project manage to your requirements. With an eye for detail and a pragmatic approach, she will ensure that your writing project meets your needs, is accurate and delivered to deadline.
As an in-house author, Debbie edited From the Press (a careers news abstracting service) and co-wrote publications including the following (find more on Amazon):
• Degrees with Less Debt (2011)
• CVs and Applications: A beginner’s guide (2011)
• Navigate: A guide to options at 18+ with level 3 qualifications (2010)
• Keynotes: Career development information for adults (2009)
• A Year Off…A Year On? Making the most of your gap year (2005)
• Coming Back to Learning: A Handbook for Adults (2004)
• Careers with a Science Degree (2003).
Debbie has written a number of resources for AELP: Supporting Partnership Approaches to Building Occupational Expertise for Learners, Apprentices and Employees (CPD materials, 2016), English and Mathematics in Apprenticeships (booklet for providers, 2014) and What functional skills can do for you (training pack and brochure for employers, 2013).
• Royal Society of Chemistry – Debbie regularly writes about current careers topics and answers members’ questions on the Dr Careers section of the ChemNet forum
• eCLIPS – online careers leaflets widely used by schools, colleges and careers organisations; Debbie has an on-going contract with Adviza to keep this up to date
• Career Comp@nion – wrote a series of Career Insight articles supporting career changes (2018)
• Health Careers – contributed to the new site (2015/16)
• Royal Society of Chemistry – contributed to 'A Future in Chemistry' website (2014)
• English Heritage – produced property sheets for educational visits (2013).
Working on eCLIPS affords Debbie a broad understanding of careers, in particular the choices made at different stages in a person's life, and the wide range of careers, qualifications and training routes available.
Areas of particular expertise:
- Adult Learning and Career Change
- Occupational Information
- CVs and Job Hunting
- Editorial Services and Proofreading
- Post 16 Choices
- Pre 16 Choices
- Higher Education and Graduate Employment
- Work-related Education and Learning Resources
- Case Studies and Interviews
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities