Who Offers Apprenticeships?
Apprenticeships have been developed by a wide range of employment sectors and are available in industries as diverse as finance, engineering, IT and travel. Over 240,000 workplaces in England employ apprentices, ranging from large national companies such as British Gas and BMW to small- and medium-sized local businesses.
The apprenticeship programme has developed significantly in recent years and apprenticeships are becoming increasingly popular with employers. More employers are welcoming apprentices and many leading companies are expanding their apprenticeship programmes. There are up to 28,000 vacancies available online at any one time.
What types of industries and companies offer apprenticeships?
If your son or daughter is considering taking an apprenticeship, then the following offers a snapshot into the types of industries and companies offering apprenticeship opportunities:
- IT, technology, and telecoms: BT, Microsoft, Google, Virgin Media, IBM, Accenture, Capgemini, Fujitsu
- Financial services: Lloyds Banking Group, Barclays Bank, Royal Bank of Scotland Group, HSBC, Aviva, Lloyd’s of London, Aon, Deloitte, PwC
- Engineering, manufacturing and construction: Rolls Royce, BAE Systems, Siemens, GlaxoSmithKline, Unilever UK Limited, Nestle, Mars UK, Balfour Beatty, Carillion
- Energy and utilities: British Gas, E.ON, npower, National Grid, EE
- Creative and media: ITV, Sky, the BBC, Ginger Nut Media
- Health, public services and care: NHS services, local authorities, the Police Service, HM Forces
- Leisure, travel and tourism: Places for People Leisure, DC Leisure, Thomas Cook, Ryan Air, Easy Jet, British Airways
- Hospitality and catering: Hilton Worldwide, Premier Inn, McDonald’s, Jamie Oliver, Pizza Express, TGI Fridays
- Retail and logistics: Boots, John Lewis, ASOS, George, Marks and Spencer, Asda, Aldi, Sainsbury’s, Royal Mail, Smiths News
- Vehicles and transport: BMW, Jaguar Land Rover, Vauxhall, Kwik-Fit, RAC, Network Rail, Stagecoach UK Bus, Servisair.
Where can I go to find out more?
Apprenticeships are available in 1,500 occupations across 170 industries. You can help your son or daughter find out more about apprenticeship opportunities using the following websites:
www.getingofar.gov.uk The National Apprenticeship Service website contains information on what apprenticeships are and how they work, films of apprentices’ experiences and tips for what employers look for when taking on an apprentice. There is a section for parents with handy tips on how to support your child into an apprenticeship. Current apprenticeship opportunities can be found by following the ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ link – this will redirect you to www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch where you can search for current vacancies by job role, occupation type, apprenticeship level or location.
www.apprenticeshipguide.co.uk The Apprenticeship Guide contains brief summaries of every apprenticeship offered in England, general careers advice, real life case studies, employer advertising and a directory of training providers,
www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk The AllAboutSchoolLeavers website contains information on apprenticeships, employers and industries offering apprenticeships, career opportunities, current apprenticeship vacancies, a Parent’s Guide to Apprenticeships, and a school leavers jobs advice and news section.
www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk The RateMyApprenticeship website contains information on apprenticeships, employers offering apprenticeships, industry guides, current apprenticeship vacancies, apprenticeship reviews and an advice hub with resources for parents and students.
www.notgoingtouni.co.uk The Not Going to Uni website contains information on apprenticeships, apprenticeship providers, current apprenticeship vacancies, career profiles, industry profiles, an Apprenticeship Guide 2017 and an advice centre.
For information on apprenticeship opportunities in other nations of the UK, see
© Caroline Barker, March 2017